When developing a short film it is a wise idea to have a script formulated so that everyone can be on the same page, literally. I have been reading a variety of screenplays and “how to books” on the process, and I also have great resources from my narrative screenwriting class. One of the books I discovered on Google book search was Screencraft: Screenwriting. The book examines the process of some of the best screenwriters in the industry and interviews them on their thoughts and development of stories and character conflict. For example: Paul Schrader discusses his thoughts while developing Raging Bull and shows some early outlines.
The sole premise for my short film is two samurai sword experts. So I have been researching sword techniques and watching classic Japanese films. The best recourse for this has been YouTube, Dailymotion, and Netflix. YouTube can provide short clips with the exact part you are looking for, but with Netflix you have any movie you want at your disposal. I recently watched The Twilight Samurai in which a samurai warrior decides to take care of his family instead of devoting himself to his clan, but his clan force him to take a dangerous assignment. There are so many great samurai films like The Seven Samurai, Ran, Throne of Blood, and The Hidden Blade; all with little techniques and tricks that I jot down in my note book while watching. Above everything else it’s a specific genre and people expect certain things to happen. Here’s a short list of and links to clips I have been watching.
· Best Zatoichi fights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNlSoDoEHbQ&feature=related
· Sucker Punch – Samurai fight scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-bCGOthQ5k&feature=related
· Samurai Fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hCE2U87Y4o&feature=related
No comments:
Post a Comment